Offtopic copyright stuff (Was; Re: [PLUG] Microsoft's smell o f desperation | LinuxWorld (fwd))

Kelly Guimont verso at mac.com
Thu Aug 1 16:52:42 UTC 2002

That's always been my understanding of fair use. You get that right to use
them for yourself as well. For example: I buy CDs, but my Jeep only has a
tape deck. It is well within my rights to record that CD to tape and then
take it with me in my Jeep so that I may play it. That's where the
collective wetting of pants came into play with VCRs. Nobody was going to go
to movies anymore since you could get them at home and people were going to
make copy after copy to give away and it would be legal and the movie
industry would collapse...I'm young, but even I remember this.

The part I think is interesting is the kickbacks on media. The RIAA gets a
cut of every blank tape (vhs/audio) sold, and IIRC, they set up a similar
deal with CDs...

-Kelly
Retreat? In our moment of triumph? I think you overestimate their chances.