[PLUG] Anybody using up2date lately?

Don Buchholz don at truedisk.com
Thu Aug 1 16:17:20 UTC 2002

Mike Witt wrote:

> Aaron Baer wrote:
> > If you want to give some money to RedHat and you don't want to wait in
> > line for the up2date services you could just sign up for their
> > subscription services which give you faster bandwidth and download
> > priorities through up2date..
>
> This brings up an interesting question. I was just looking at
> this on their web page. The "per system" basic subscription is
> $60/year. This actually sounds pretty reasonable. However...
> when I view my "entitlements" it appears that this "basic subscription"
> is exactly what I already have, from the last time I bought a
> package (7.2)
>
> So, I'm a little confused. Perhaps, what I can see on the web page
> just doesn't distinguish between a "real" subscription that I've
> paid for and one that I got by buying the CD?  Or maybe.... the
> "entitlement" I have from buying the CD has actually expired in
> terms of being a subscription, but still works on an "as-bandwidth-
> available" basis?  I guess there are a lot of possibilities.
>
> Anybody know the details of how this actually works?
>
> Come to think of it, has anybody here actually bought a subscription
> "directly" (not just by buying the CDs?)
>
> -Mike

I don't have details on how it works ... but here is my experience.
I've got roughly a dozen system configs registered with RHN, and
was already thinking about buying a couple of 'subscriptions' so
I could be working with multiple 'up2date' sessions simultaneously.
But, finances being what they are I just kept slogging away with a
single (basic and free [as in beer]) subscription.

On June 20, it became damned near impossible to connect to the up2date
server.  So I got on the RHN web site, bought a $60 1-system subscription
and have had no problems since.  The cool part, is that by buying just
one subscription, I get to entitle 2 systems -- and, afaik, both connect
at the higher, paid-for, priority.

--

- Don Buchholz                               <don at truedisk.com>
- TrueDisk, 7431 NW Evergreen Pkwy - #110, Hillsboro, OR  97124