[PLUG] Local resources for finding Linux/Unix/OS jobs?

Jason Dagit dagit at engr.orst.edu
Fri Aug 2 02:18:28 UTC 2002

On 1 Aug 2002, Karl M. Hegbloom wrote:

> I've been told that there are a lot of underqualified people out there
> (with and without college degrees) who have trouble finding work, and
> that's why the high tech unemployment rate is so high.  Time to hit
> the books, folks.

I think education is excellent and that everyone could use some more...but
with schools like the CS dept at OSU a lot of underqualified people still
get their degrees, and go contribute to that 25%.  I'm talking about
students that after graduation struggle to write a simple client/server
program, don't realize that C programs need a main(), the list goes on,
but I think you see my point.  I mean really, some of them are terrible.
Not terrible people, but just terrible with technology.  And yet for some
reason they get a degree in it.

I don't know if we should hold their educators responsible or the
students, but sometimes I wish for the sake of the skilled people that it
was a bit harder to get a degree.  And yes, I realize that sometimes it's
the worst students who provide the biggest contributions in the "real
world".

Has anyone else had expierence with similar?  Perhaps in a non-technical
field?

Jason