[PLUG] Linux Terminal Server... too many open files?

Matt Alexander m at netpro.to
Fri Aug 2 04:45:58 UTC 2002

On Thu, 1 Aug 2002, Jason Dagit wrote:

> On 31 Jul 2002, Karl M. Hegbloom wrote:
>
> > I think you can "echo NNNN > /proc/sys/fs/file-max", or, if your disto
> > uses "sysctl", edit "/etc/sysctl.conf" and set it there, then run
> > "sysctl -p".
>
> That may be a solution for now, but I wouldn't be surprised if there is a
> bug in one or more of the programs you use that causes it to consume more
> file descriptors than it should.

Actually, with 24 users on a server all running KDE, Konqueror,
OpenOffice, and whatever else, I'm not surprised that I'm exceeding the
currently set limit of 26208.  Run "lsof | wc -l" on your box and you'll
be surprised at the number of "open files" you have.
I'll take Karl's advice and increase the file-max value and see if that
fixes the problem.
Thanks,
~M