[PLUG] Spammer techniques question (fwd)

Mike Witt mike at computer-arts.net
Fri Aug 2 05:21:19 UTC 2002

Rich Shepard wrote:

> Mike,
>
>   Are there header_checks in postfix that can detect and reject unwanted
> names? For example, I get a lot of spam to "undisclosed-recipients at ... and
> I'd like to block that. Alternatively, if there's a place to put the few
> usernames that are actually available, that would be great, too.

Well, I use sendmail and I don't know anything about postfix. Sendmail
does reject the messages I'm talking about of course, since there are
no such users. I personally use procmail to bounce mail that I
suspect of being spam, such as mail to "undisclosed-recipients".
What I do is require the sender to send me one reply before I'll
look at "suspect" mail. So far, a spam mailing system has never
replied, although I suppose it's possible.

This has essentially eliminated spam as a problem for me, although
I suppose there might be a few confused souls out there who can't
send me mail because they don't undertand the bounce message
saying that they have to "hit the reply key"

-Mike