[PLUG] Local resources for finding Linux/Unix/OS jobs?

Doug Davis mindglow at dsl-only.net
Fri Aug 2 05:55:47 UTC 2002

On Thu, 2002-08-01 at 19:46, Richard Langis Jr. wrote:
> Funny thing is, most of the people I've talked to that have gotten into
> IT or other such technical jobs, do NOT have a degree in CS, but rather
> Business, Psych, etc.  Provided they actually have a degree at all - I'd
> say it's 50/50, since the stuff you learn to get your degree is pretty
> outdated by the time you get into the job market.  ;)
>
> I don't have a degree, but I've been tested to have a 4-year degree
> grasp of concepts, vocabulary, etc.  I just don't have that peice of
> paper and a $40k school loan.
>
> -R

In only one interview has my university education even been mentioned
and that was only b/c my school ( Va Tech) had just gotten clobbered in
the national championship game the day previous. Employers seem far more
interested in my experience than anything else.

Regarding Linux in the workplace.When I started working at my current
position ( I'm a Unix Engineer for a major utility) we had very few Unix
machines. Now they operate as console server, web servers and soon will
host smaller Oracle databases. This climate is wonderful for introducing
lower cost solutions. It is highly likely that a motivated individual
could exact a great deal of change if it were presented in a well
thought out and organized way.

Doug