[PLUG] Broadband detection

Kyle Accardi sandbox at pacifier.com
Fri Aug 2 06:14:44 UTC 2002

Stephen Liu wrote:

Someone wrote:
>>Also, I wouldn't edit XF86Config-4.  Use Xconfiguratior.

> Yes, in most time I use Xconfigurator.  In rare occasion I will use plain text
> editor to make a small change

You're right.  Xconfigurator won't let you do everything you might want to
do.  As I'm sure you discovered when you were trying to get your scroll
mouse to work.  You gotta do some things by hand.

>>Regarding your IP issue:  I have a static IP, so my experience is
>>limited.  Sounds like you need to set the machine to use DHCP.  One way
>>to do this might be to use Linxuconf (run as root), go to "Host Name and
>>IP Detection", select which adapter you use (probably Adapter 1) and
>>then select DHCP under config mode.
>

> "linuxconf" is not running in my RH7.3 box.  I just download
>
> "linuxconf-1.28r1-1.i386.rpm".

Don't use linuxconf it is evil.  Red Hat finally realized this and stopped
including it.  You can do most networking adjustments by running `neat` as
root.

> I made frequent search on google and freshmeat.net.  Sometime either the links
> there are broken or the technical information are already out off date.
> Therefore I join many lists.  Everyday I read more than 100 postings and
> sumarize some of them which I consider maybe useful to me in future.
>
> I came from Windows without any reference book on Linux.  I rely on postings
> as well as technical documents searched from Internet.  Some of them are
> quite useful.  Occasionally I drill into obsolete papers

You're on the right track.  I don't subscribe to very many groups, but rely
on google heavily.  Yes, sometimes you hit a lot of dead ends, but usually
if you change your search keywords, you'll find what you are looking for.
Although I have be thwarted from time to time, that's when I ask PLUG.

And while not always the quick answer, finding the "obsolete papers" can be
a lot of fun, or at least deepens your knowlege a bit.

--
Kyle Accardi