[PLUG] WYSWYG Programming environments for Linux?

Carla Schroder pluglist at bratgrrl.com
Fri Aug 2 09:50:30 UTC 2002

On Friday 02 August 2002 03:18 pm, you wrote:
> Hello Linux folkz,
> Could somebody point me to the sources of information on
> graphical Linux environments to program desktop interfaces
> or web interfaces in WYSWYG mode.
> The programming language doesn't matter at this moment.
>
> Many thanks in advance.
> Alex

The big 3 are Qt, GTK+, and Kylix.

Qt and GTK+ are free, both are very nice. Kylix is expensive, comes with
rafts of features the other two don't have, especially for the enterprise.
Kylix has 30-day free trial, and a free edition, but only for GPL apps, not
for commercial.

Qt and GTK+  run on different compilers, they are sophisticated widget sets.
Kylix is complete environment. Kylix and Qt provide their own API. GTK+ uses
X as its API.

Qt is C++, GTK C, Kylix Delphi. One very cool feature of Qt is translating
apps into other languages, it does this better than any of the others.

All three can do cross-platform, the new magic mantra is "single source
code". Their respective Websites are probably the best sources of
information. A Google search for product reviews turns up some decent
articles.