[PLUG] Transcription of Q/A sessions following PLUG speaker presentations.

Eli Stair eli.stair.lists at attbi.com
Fri Aug 2 14:06:08 UTC 2002

Hello all.

I have a recommendation (RFC if you will) regarding the PLUG meetings where
there is a guest speaker/presentation.  My desire for this comes from the fact
that I wasn't able to stay for the full Q/A banter following the OpenACS
topic last night, was only able to pose one quick question, and didn't get
to hear answers to any that followed.  I wish that there was a way for me to
follow up on that, but am not going to email the presenter asking him to summarize
what went on :)  Also, there may be others who couldn't show up at all, and may
have questions about the topic that are not on the (OpenACS) FAQ.

Especially when it regards a project that many people may be interested in on
the surface because of listed features/capabilities/portability/expandability, there
are lots of driving issues that we have questions about, that specifically will NOT
be on any FAQ, for reasons that the answer may not sound good, or may not have been
asked in sufficient volume.

This is my proposition:

When a presentation is given, someone has the task of making sure the entirety
is recorded (audio).  Key points made during the presentation are noted, and
significant, if not all, questions and following answers are transcribed to
text.  This could then be either posted to the list following a presentation, or
possibly a section could be added to pdxlinux.org where each presentation given
has its own page with info from the project manager/presenter followed by the
notes taken during the meeting.

That is the gist of my idea.  If anyone thinks it's bad, let me know.  If this
has been covered before, also let me know.  I'm new to the group so haven't been
around for any previous discussions of this nature.  I would be willing to do the
work of recording/transcribing the meeting, and anything else I'm capable of.

Cheers,

/eli