[PLUG] Linux Terminal Server... too many open files?

Matt Alexander m at netpro.to
Fri Aug 2 22:17:39 UTC 2002

On Fri, 2 Aug 2002, Anthony Schlemmer wrote:

> I run KDE and looked on my system and I have something like 3400+ files
> open for just myself. I can only imagine how many files 24 users will
> have open at one time. My system has a "file-max"  value of 52420.

Ha!  I laugh at your puny number of open files!  BWAA!!  HAA!!  HAAAAA!!
:-)  My desktop here at work currently has 10896 open files.  But, of
course, I'm also running KDE, Konqueror, Mozilla, MS Excel (through the
Codeweavers Crossover product), OpenOffice, VMWare, Evolution (with the
Ximian Connector), Gaim, Konsole, Apache, MySQL, ColdFusion, and Chilisoft
ASP.  ;-)
~M