[PLUG] Odd ping response behavior from private IP addresses

Anthony Schlemmer aschlemm at attbi.com
Sat Aug 3 05:39:36 UTC 2002

It may be that the cable network has devices on it that are using
private IPs or something. I've had on occasion IPs from 10.x.x.x/8 hit
my firewall. I have my firewall setup to silently drop all incoming
packets from private IPs as listed in RFC1918. I'm also careful to make
sure my firewall will not route any private IPs to the outside network
as well.

Tony