[PLUG] WYSWYG Programming environments for Linux?

Tyler F. Creelan creelan at engr.orst.edu
Mon Aug 5 06:58:42 UTC 2002

FYI, someone stated earlier on this thread that Kylix was Delphi only,
however the new 3.0 version will target C++ as well:

"Borland Software Corp is set to build on an early lead among Linux
developers, with today's expected launch of a C++ rapid application
development (RAD) environment.

Scotts Valley, California-based Borland will announce version 3.0 of its
Kylix RAD environment for C++. Previous versions of Kylix targeted Delphi
programmers on Windows and Linux.

Kylix 3.0 brings RAD to an estimated three million C++ developers on
Linux. Borland is playing in a highly fragmented Linux market, which
provides programmers with an array of open source command-line tools that
largely lack integrated features.

The company hopes Kylix 3.0's integrated, RAD-development environment will
attract those building graphical users interfaces (GUIs), databases and
web services.

"Command-line tools get the job done at a low-level, but these tools have
not been easy to use. You have several console windows open to build and
debug [an application]," said product manager for RAD solutions John Ray
Thomas.""