[PLUG] Novell (nis) running on Linux

Schlosser, Ryan RSchlosser at newedgenetworks.com
Mon Aug 5 16:28:36 UTC 2002

First of all, Novell is a company, Netware is the product you're questioning
I think.

Novell NDS.  Regardless of your feelings of Big Red Novell Software Boxes,
they do have one of the better directory structures, feating full LDAP
support, and it's "near free" at $1 to $2 a seat.

Novell Zenworks.  Nothing compares to it from the Linux world.

Novell Netware.  Larger enterprise environments, that need a file sharing
system for an "enterprise", not a small LAN.  Samba is great for smaller
environments (I use it at home and at work for non critical tasks), but
there is still much question about how well it scales in larger corporate
environments.