[PLUG] rpm installation help, please

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Tue Aug 6 02:09:54 UTC 2002

On Mon, 5 Aug 2002, Carla Schroder wrote:

> Ethereal is a sterling example of how not to build an RPM. I've been fussing
> with it all afternoon- it's been an interesting education. To heck with the
> damned RPMs. The machines I use it on, it was installed during the original
> Linux installation. I'm going to try building from source and see what
> happens. The libs are on my test system, but not in the RPM database- seems
> like there was a thread on this not too long ago.

Carla,

  I built ethereal from source then was sent a working rpm that's known to
work on a RH 6.2 system. It works just fine.

  When a library is built from source it's not registered in the package
database. If the rpm installation reports that dependency is missing, but
'locate' confirms it's installed, just use the '--nodeps' switch and the
rpm will install and run without complaints or problems.

  If anyone wants a copy of:

/usr1/rpm-packages/ethereal-base-0.9.1-1.i386.rpm
/usr1/rpm-packages/ethereal-gtk+-0.9.1-1.i386.rpm
/usr1/rpm-packages/ethereal-usermode-0.9.1-1.i386.rpm

  I'll be happy to push them your way as attachments; about 2.7M worth of
tools.