[PLUG] Unknown user?

Mike Russell miker at netsailer.com
Wed Aug 7 14:42:31 UTC 2002

It is the arpwatch demean, if you install arpwatch, it will use this user
to send you arp info. my earlier post about "two ethn in one box error" was
concerning this. I later found that my problem was on how I had my network
wired up to the new router, I received email's every two minuets from
pcap at mydomain.com until I fixed the issue.
example;
arpwatch: flip
flop     the.ip.add.ress         the:mac:add:ress:xx
(the:mac:add:ress:switch:from)

the issue was, I received an error that some other host had my IP address
when I init'ed my eth0. then i would receive an arpwatch email from my
other server telling me that the MAC address has changed for the IP
address. I don't have enough TCP/IP knowledge to explain, but it happened
when i had both sides of the router plugged into the same HUB with
different IP blocks ( 10.10..1.x/24 and 209.162.208.x/24). I believe it had
something to do with having the same subnet-mask. I thought they would
ignore each other, my bad.

I hope I answered your question, and would appreciate any explanation of my
TCP/IP issue.

mike