[PLUG] Struggling with OpenOffice

AthlonRob AthlonRobNF at cs.com
Thu Aug 8 19:46:10 UTC 2002

On Thu, 2002-08-08 at 11:23, Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Thu, 8 Aug 2002, Jason Dagit wrote:
>
> > I think you might want to re-evauate what you are using for the future.
> > Do you actually NEED OO?  Is there some reason why you have to use it?
> > Are you sending documents to Word users?
>
> Jason,
>
>   Bingo! I get Word docs and I need to provide copies that they can read in
> that so-called OS. :-) (I'm cranky today because of this nonsense.) I also
> get a lot of permit application templates in Word.
>
>   I looked at AbiWord, too, but there was something it didn't support as
> well as OO that is important to me. It might be the printer; I don't recall.
> I did download both and try them. I now recall there was an issue with
> printing envelopes. I spent a frustrating half-hour with AbiWord and
> couldn't do it but did so in less than 5 minutes with OO. This was my first
> exposure to both.
<snip>

There's also KWord, part of the KOffice suite.  Although it is a KDE app
(less stable, starts up slower) it does do a pretty good job for what I
was doing (Engineering class papers... yeah, I know I should learn TeX
stuff)...

Just be sure and save your work in its native format often and always
before saving it as another format.  I had its filters barf out on me a
couple times, taking the whole thing down with it (most of the time that
was with KSpread, but it happened with KWord, too).

So it isn't super-stable, but it is pretty feature-rich and was
customizable enough.  It might do the trick for you....

--
Rob
"Google is your friend"