Any TeX-perts out there? (was: Re: [PLUG] Struggling with OpenOffice

Anthony Schlemmer aschlemm at attbi.com
Thu Aug 8 20:28:27 UTC 2002

This isn't something I use much anymore but at one time there were
numerous books on this subject. TeX, and LaTEX are great for saving
paper. The nice thing is what I saw on the screen using "xdvi" I would
get on paper when I was finally ready to print a hardcopy.

I can't tell you how many times Word and other WYSIWYG word processors
have hosed me where things looked great on the screen only to appear
not-so-great when output to paper. I really think WYSIWYG should really
be renamed to WYSMBWYG instead (What You See Might Be What You Get)
where a lot of word processors are concerned.

Here are some reference books if anyone is interested. I don't know if
these books are still in print or not as I've had most of them for 4-5
years now:

"The LaTEX Companion" ISBN 0-201-54199-8
"The LaTEX" Graphics Companion" ISBN 0-201-85469-4
"A Guide to LaTEX 2E" ISBN 0-201-42777-X

I used TeX and LaTEX though "emacs" putting tags in by hand, etc. I know
there is a wordprocessor called "LyX" that uses LaTEX for output. They
call it WYSIWYM which is "What You See Is What You Mean)...

http://www.lyx.org/

Tony