[PLUG] Struggling with OpenOffice

AthlonRob AthlonRobNF at cs.com
Thu Aug 8 20:52:43 UTC 2002

On Thu, 2002-08-08 at 13:03, Anthony Schlemmer wrote:
> If you're running from KDE, KWord starts up in a few seconds. OpenOffice
> on the other hand takes nearly 10 seconds before I see anything other
> than its splash screen. I guess my system isn't very fast anymore as I
> only have 10K RPM Ultra-160 hard drives and a lowly 900MHZ Athlon. I
> guess I need to upgrade my system again at some point.
>
> Tony

I stopped running KDE a while ago simply because it is so terribly
bloated.  Sure, my system can handle it... but why should it have to?
It seems to me a lot of KDE could be streamlined better.  On older
systems, it just takes forever to start.

So I switched to fluxbox.  About the only thing I miss is the ability to
start KDE apps as quickly as I was able to when running the full KDE
suite.  I can access things so much faster, though, and have weaned
myself off KDE apps for the most part.

Ok, I'm diverging...

Yeah, KOffice does start a lot faster when KDE already running.
Definitely better than OO (which is just really slow no matter what, it
seems.  I can't run it over a forwarded X11 display worth beans... this
is over 100Mbps LAN).  But I always am sure to mention the loadup time
when they haven't mentioned they're using KDE.  :-)

--
Rob
"Google is your friend"