Any TeX-perts out there? (was: Re: [PLUG] Struggling with OpenOffice

Jason Dagit dagit at engr.orst.edu
Thu Aug 8 20:55:26 UTC 2002

On Thu, 8 Aug 2002, Rich Shepard wrote:

> On Thu, 8 Aug 2002, E. Rogan Creswick wrote:
>
> > >   Maybe what we need is a group session where we all install LaTeX fonts and
> > > learn how to build customized style sheets.
>
> > ...sounds like a good topic for a learning co-op. If there is no-one
> > better suited, Jason and I could probably put together a session if there
> > is interest.
>
>   I am very interested in overcoming these two hurdles to the regular use of
> TeX for document typesetting in the business environment. If the entire
> process can be clearly explained for the non-Donald Knuth's among us (me,
> for example) and well documented we're well on the way of offering LyX as a
> business document production system.

As Rogan mentions I am willing to teach how to use LaTeX, I am not an
expert, just a user.  I use LaTeX via emacs on a daily basis, and have had
to learn little more than the basics even to do mathematical papers, and
reports with tables of content.  Gets me a grade that is at least 10%
higher than I would have gotten using word.  I must say I've never like
LyX because it has always been confusing to me.  I can't offer any help
with it...But I can with emacs.

I have a tutorial that I send to people that are curious about LaTeX, it
is 600KB so I don't like to email it, but you can find the latest version
on my web page:
http://www.engr.orst.edu/~dagit/latextutorial.tar.gz

There is a makefile in there to help with creating your documents, it has
a known bug with table of contents.  I know a work around, but I don't
know enough about make to put in an elegant solution.  If you're a make
expert let me know so we can fix this bug.

If you pluggers test it out, please send me your feed back so I can
improve it.

Also Rich, there is an archive of TeX/LaTeX templates and such at CTAN.
I have only used their site once, but it might have the business resources
you want/need.

http://www.ctan.org/

HTH,
Jason