Any TeX-perts out there? (was: Re: [PLUG] Struggling with OpenOffice

Dean S. Messing deanm at sharplabs.com
Thu Aug 8 21:21:19 UTC 2002

Anthony Schlemmer wrote:
 :: Here are some reference books if anyone is interested. I don't know if
 :: these books are still in print or not as I've had most of them for 4-5
 :: years now:
 ::
 :: "The LaTEX Companion" ISBN 0-201-54199-8
 :: "The LaTEX" Graphics Companion" ISBN 0-201-85469-4
 :: "A Guide to LaTEX 2E" ISBN 0-201-42777-X

All good books.  And of course there's the definitive

    _LaTeX User's Guide and Reference Manual_, 2nd ed.,  ISBN 0-201-52983-1

by Leslie Lamport, who invented LaTeX (and who, I hear, now works for M$).

Finally all the above refer, many times, to the Final Authority:

   _The TeX Book_ (sorry, it's home so no ISBN number handy)

by Donald Knuth.

It's a difficult book, but if you want to become a TeXpert, it is a
must.  Everything derives from it.  Many times the above books contain
footnotes like "to learn more about such-and-such refer to pg. xxx of
_The TeX Book_.

Dean