Any TeX-perts out there? (was: Re: [PLUG] Struggling with OpenOffice

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu Aug 8 22:35:26 UTC 2002

On 8 Aug 2002, AthlonRob wrote:

> That's good to know.... now if I do something in TeX, can I later
> convert it to pdf, postscript, or (ghasp!) Word?

  LaTeX, and LyX, by default output to .dvi (DeVice Independent). Like XML,
it's rather neutral and easily converted to whatever you want.

> I never got in to Emacs much.  There is quite a cult following, though,
> I've noticed.  "Linux is just the device driver"  "Emacs is a great OS,
> but it sucks as an editor"  Although if I include those, I *must*
> include "You can't spell eVIl without vi"  :-)

  Like olives, it's an acquired taste. According to Bernice Sachs Lipkin,
emacs is the only software that _includes_ the kitchen sink. :-)

> If it helps me get out those darned equations faster than the quite
> cumbersome equation editor, I'm sure I'll fall in love with it!  I like
> keystrokes when I'm typing a paper, not mouse movements and clicks.

  Try it in LyX. Even I did it right the first time. I did need help getting
it centered horizontally, though, but was shown how to do it.

> Linuxpackages.net likely has additional binaries to go along with
> these... they do a pretty good job getting the more professional (ie;
> not stuff like xmms) things out there up for download and easy installs.

  Stay with the tetex version. It's apparently the most robust.