[PLUG] Postfix "Deferred"

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Aug 9 17:15:20 UTC 2002

On Fri, 9 Aug 2002, Russ Johnson wrote:

> I recently began running a postfix log analyzer, and this raises
> questions.... :)

Russ,

  My postfix installation included a daily report mailed to postmaster by
root. It has all sorts of neat stuff.

> Part of the analysis is this:

> The deferred total keeps going up. Yesterday is was around 960. The day
> before, 850 or so. I look farther in the analysis, and I see a list of the
> deferrals, and almost all are spamhouses that don't accept inbound mail, so
> they get "Connection Refused".

  I think that I have finally figured out that the deferrals are outgoing
messages, not incoming. I get a lot of 'em, too. If these spam factories
cannot be annoyed by receiving bounced/rejected messages they sent to us,
then I would change the action from REJECT to IGNORE. According to
/etc/postfix/main.cf,

# IGNORE the header line is silently discarded.

which I interpret to mean that the message is slipped into /dev/null. If I'm
wrong, then I, too, would like to know how to just throw away the rejections
that are not received by the sender so I can save the bandwidth.