[PLUG] rpm installation help, please

Karl M. Hegbloom karlheg at hegbloom.net
Sat Aug 10 10:21:50 UTC 2002

Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> writes:

>   When a library is built from source it's not registered in the package
> database. If the rpm installation reports that dependency is missing, but
> 'locate' confirms it's installed, just use the '--nodeps' switch and the
> rpm will install and run without complaints or problems.

I you do not put software and libraries under package manager control,
later on, when you update your machine, the package management system
does not find any dependancies on that library, and removes it.  It
does this to keep cruft from building up in your lib directories.

When you do need something, perhaps even a specific version of
something, you can use (oh, right, only on Debian) "equivs" (search
for it) to create a quick (5 minutes) pseudo package that declares the
dependancies for you, to keep the package manager from uninstalling
that library on you.

You can also use "aptitude hold" to put things on "hold" status, to
keep them from getting upgraded automaticly...  The man
apt_preferences mechanism also provides a way to pin a package at a
specific version.

--
As any limb well and duly exercised, grows stronger,
the nerves of the body are corroborated thereby. --I. Watts.  .''`.