[PLUG] rpm installation help, please

Carla Schroder pluglist at bratgrrl.com
Sat Aug 10 08:33:57 UTC 2002

On Saturday 10 August 2002 10:15 am, you wrote:
> [ Please trim portions of citations you are not specificly replying
> to.  This practice not only saves space in the archives, but makes it
> much easier for others to follow the discussion.  It also lends your
> email communications a much more professional appearance. ]

Thank you, I shall take this seriously when all posts are monitored, and
admonished accordingly.

> Carla Schroder <pluglist at bratgrrl.com> writes:
> > Sandy n Rich, a valiant effort. I hate when someone's idea of help is
> > "apt-get- oh you can't? too bad!"

> Good point.  They ARE built by human hands... not by quick and dirty
> autowraps around the upstream makefiles that neglect silly things like
> FHS (Filesystem Heirarchy Standard), stripping binaries, and <gasp>
> policy compliance.  ...

<mass snippage>

Most Linux users test a number of distributions, and choose the one or ones
that meet their needs. There are many features other than package management
to consider. A whole flock of  'gee, too bad you don't have Debian!' posts
are unhelpful. When a person has a problem to solve and can't get a job done,
it's annoying to be told "oh you don't have the right Linux, if you did your
troubles would be over." It's like the inevitable twit who rolls up when
you're changing a flat tire- chock-full of advice on tire brands, but won't
actually get out and lend a hand.

A solution was posted that didn't require the original poster to switch to a
different Linux and re-install their entire system, and there were several
other posts with useful bits as well.
Carla Schroder, Bratgrrl Computing
Plain English spoken here
www.bratgrrl.com
this message brought to you by KMail, on
Red Hat Linux 7.2