[PLUG] Thin clients?

Kyle Accardi sandbox at pacifier.com
Sat Aug 10 19:51:45 UTC 2002

Preston Crawford wrote:

<snip>

> So, if I bought a thin client or a cheap PC that connected via wireless, I
> could take THAT PC and connect to my desktop, using SSH, etc. That way the
> data all remains on the desktop and the connection of the workstation
> where I'm processing said data, to the data repository, is relatively
> secure. The only thing slightly insecure would then be web surfing, etc.
> Email, Usenet, programming, all of that would still be taking place on the
> desktop via SSH.
>
> So that's my thought process. I was thinking thin client would be cheaper
> than PC, but I can't find anyone who sells thin clients and everywhere
> online they're upwards of $350. So I'm thinking at this point it might be
> cheaper to do a build-my-own box as cheap as humanly possible, slap Linux
> on it and do it that way. Just so long as I can get the wireless card
> running fairly easily.

I have a ThinkNIC, like so

http://www.thenicstore.com/nic/learnmore.html
$249, no HD.  Runs Linux off a CD.  Mainly a web kiosk, but there is (or
was) ssh, xterm, citrix client, etc.  Of course you could burn your own CD
and put what you want on it.  I just installed a 20G laptop drive.

There's a decent Yahoo group (if there is such a thing) here

Kyle Accardi