[PLUG] Diagnosing Hard Lock-Up

Anthony Schlemmer aschlemm at attbi.com
Sat Aug 10 20:03:42 UTC 2002

>From what I seen there is a file  called .xsession-errors in the users
home directory that has error and other messages in it. KDE seems to
spit out alot of stuff into this file on my system. I know too that X
also creates a logfile in /var/log/Xfree86.0.log.

Since it sounds like your system is crashing outright, have you run
Memtest-86 to see if you have any bad memory? I had some spectacular
crashes because of a bad DIMM in my system. I have LILO setup so I can
choose to run Memtest-86 rather then booting Linux so I can test my
system's memory. Since the bad DIMM was replaced I haven't had anymore
crashes.

I've also had X crash and/or hang outright but Linux keep running and
the box was still reachable from the network so I could login and and
kill X and then get back to running X from the consol again.

Tony

--
Anthony Schlemmer
aschlemm at attbi.com