[PLUG] login....

Tyler F. Creelan creelan at engr.orst.edu
Tue Aug 13 07:16:46 UTC 2002

On Mon, 12 Aug 2002, Russell Evans wrote:
> I don't think this can work in a three way conversation. ...

ytalk, an updated multi-user version of talk, can handle 3-way
conversations. Plus it's backwards compatible with talk. write is nice,
but not as intuitive as *talk, plus you don't get to watch people type in
realtime. Of course there's always "wall", and if you're already logged
in as root, why resist the urge? :)

echo "LAST WARNING-User accounts being reformatted in 1 minute, move your data NOW." | wall

Billy M Dimaculangan said:
> >  were three of us who knows the root passwd.
> > If  I log in as root and one of
> >  them or both of them log in also as root would
> > I be able to determine if how
> >  many has login as root.

Someone's going to admonish you for this, so I might as well take the
first stab. There are two problems here.

1) You don't need to share root's account to give users root privileges
2) You or the users may be logged in as root for no legitimate reason.

Instead of sharing an account, you can use programs like "sudo".

Hope this helps.

Tyler