[PLUG] What about BSD?

Paul Heinlein heinlein at attbi.com
Tue Aug 13 18:30:36 UTC 2002

On Tue, 13 Aug 2002, stuart mathews wrote:

> Also, is BSD going to be substantially different than Linux,
> justifying the purchase of a BSD book? If so, can you recommend a
> good BSD book?

In some ways, a BSD system will look and feel exactly like Linux. Most
of your normal activity as a user won't be visibly affected.

When it comes to system administration, however, there are some fairly
huge differences. Probably the best place to start is the FreeBSD
Documentation Project:

  http://www.freebsd.org/docproj/

Among its offerings, the best complete introduction is the FreeBSD
Handbook, available in a dead-tree edition from amazon.com and for no
cost online:

  http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/index.html

Also, let me take an opportunity to plug "The FreeBSD Corporate
Networker's Guide" by local author Ted Mittelstaedt:

  http://www.freebsd-corp-net-guide.com/

It's not really intended as a general introduction to FreeBSD, but it
includes some nice stuff for admins looking to replace any existing
Windows infrastructure with FreeBSD.

--Paul Heinlein <heinlein at attbi.com>