[PLUG] emacs or xemacs?

Anthony Schlemmer aschlemm at attbi.com
Tue Aug 13 20:28:31 UTC 2002

I haven't used XEmacs in a number of years now but I did use it when I
first starting using Emacs. It had all the pulldown menus and other
stuff which made it easy to use and learn. Later on I switched to emacs
as I didn't need all of the extra pulldowns and stuff even though emacs
has its fair share of drop down menus now.

Since many of my jobs over the years have required me to use a Windows
machine I tend to now favor GNU emacs since it runs under both Windows
and Unix. It even handles Windows textfiles properly with the CR/LF
line terminators. I've seen some mixed environments get screwed up when
someone edits a Windows textfile on Unix and lines are terminate with
LF characters only.

With emacs it didn't seem to matter what platform was used to edit the
file as it seemed to do the right thing on either platform from what I
remember. I did most of my editing from a Sun box since all of our
files were in Clearcase and the Sun box was also our view and VOB
server.

I guess where there might be a problem is if the file was originally
created on Unix but was used on Windows.

Tony