[PLUG] Sun

Jason Dagit dagit at engr.orst.edu
Tue Aug 13 21:07:21 UTC 2002

On 13 Aug 2002, AthlonRob wrote:

> Sorry about the date there, I had to roll my system back to the 18th to
> fool a program into working for me.  ;-)
>
> Sure, I should just buy it, but they want $70 for it.  And that is with
> a student discount!
>
> :::grumbles about not being able to change the clock for only a single
> application:::

I smell a device driver/kernel patch....Maybe it could be completely
usermode....or just hack glibc.  Maybe you would have a config file, like
~rob/.clockrc and when executable x asks for the date, you return a
specific date, with current time.

Any ideas on the easiest way to hook into the system calls to accomplish
this?  Of course applications could probably just create a file and test
the date if they want to get around this, so it might take some careful
thought to fool a "smart" program....or perhaps you could change the
system call for checking the date of a file too.

The fun you could have confusing make...

Jason