[PLUG] From the Symantec Newsletter

Steve Beattie steve at wirex.net
Wed Aug 14 00:47:38 UTC 2002

On Tue, Aug 13, 2002 at 04:53:31PM -0700, Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Aug 2002, J Henshaw wrote:
>
> > Software Flaw Puts Multiple Operating Systems at Risk
> > REPRINTED FROM: Computerworld
> > AUG 12, 2002    ARTICLE ID: 1531
>
>   Interesting, Jeff. In today's "Oregonian" (Business Section) there's a
> little piece about a major security hole in Microsoft's Internet Exploder.
> (So, what else is new, right?). At first, I thought that's what this story
> reported.
>
>   The Microsoft flaw was confirmed by Symantec so perhaps it is the same
> problem.

It's not, the Microsoft problem (which also affects Konquerer) is related
to its handling of SSL certificates. The above flaw that Jeff quoted is
the buffer overflow vulnerability in Sun's RPC xdr_array code, which
exists in both glibc and kerberos' kadmind, so you should be seeing
advisories from your vendor for both of those packages.

--
Steve Beattie                               Don't trust programmers?
<steve at wirex.net>                         Complete StackGuard distro at