[PLUG] "uname -m" for athlon

Dean S. Messing deanm at sharplabs.com
Thu Aug 15 17:45:28 UTC 2002

 ::  Could someone who's running on an Athlon send me the output of
 ::  "uname -m" and "uname -a" (deleting any info you think is sensitive)?
 ::  I'm including a hardware-specific case statement in a shell script and
 ::  I realized I don't have access to an Athlon for testing :-(
 ::
 ::  --Paul Heinlein <heinlein at attbi.com>

uname -a
Linux medulla.enet.sharplabs.com 2.4.18-20mdksmp #1 SMP Mon Jun 24 19:25:19 PDT 2002 i686 unknown

uname -m
i686

Note that I have modified my rpm system config files to force athlon switches
to get used in compilation, as well as the name "athlon" to appear in
the .rpm's built from .src.rpm's.

Had `uname' given "athlon" instead of i686, none of the changes to rpm config
files would have been necessary.

I re-built the kernel, gcc, and glibc, with these changes, but
`uname' still gives the i686 moniker.

Mostly I've rebuilt things to get whatever benefit I might gain by
having the "athlon" switch turned on in gcc-3.2.  Still, I'd sure like to
know where `uname' gets the i686 from.

Here's the output of  /proc/cpuinfo:

processor	: 0
vendor_id	: AuthenticAMD
cpu family	: 6
model		: 6
model name	: AMD Athlon(tm) MP 1500+
stepping	: 2
cpu MHz		: 1333.410
cache size	: 256 KB
fdiv_bug	: no
hlt_bug		: no
f00f_bug	: no
coma_bug	: no
fpu		: yes
fpu_exception	: yes
cpuid level	: 1
wp		: yes
flags		: fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr sse syscall mmxext 3dnowext 3dnow
bogomips	: 2660.76

processor	: 1
vendor_id	: AuthenticAMD
cpu family	: 6
model		: 6
model name	: AMD Athlon(tm) Processor
stepping	: 2
cpu MHz		: 1333.410
cache size	: 256 KB
fdiv_bug	: no
hlt_bug		: no
f00f_bug	: no
coma_bug	: no
fpu		: yes
fpu_exception	: yes
cpuid level	: 1
wp		: yes
flags		: fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr sse syscall mmxext 3dnowext 3dnow
bogomips	: 2660.76

Dean