[PLUG] Printing speeds

Anthony Schlemmer aschlemm at attbi.com
Thu Aug 15 18:00:27 UTC 2002

>From looking at some of the Ghostscript device information it may be
slow as it looks to me that the Postscript in converted to bitmap not
PCL for the Laserjet 5. Maybe I'm not reading this correctly? I have an
HP 4P which is PCL only and does 4 pages per minute with the
Ghostscript "ljet4" driver.

http://www.gnu.org/software/ghostscript/devices.html

I agree that having a Postscript printer is the way to go. I've had the
HP 4P for nearly 8 years and I can't yet justify buying a new printer
until my HP dies or it's too expensive to fix. I only seem to be
averaging about 1000 pages a year on the thing and so far the only
expense has been toner cartridges and paper.

I did get a Lexmark color printer that has a Postscript engine in
hardware so I would be assured I had a color printer that worked with
both Windows and Linux. I also have a Lexmark Z11 that is supposed to
be partially supported under Linux but when I tried it all I got was a
bunch of "gibberish" on the paper so I've given up on that printer.

Tony