[PLUG] Identifying character codes in an ASCII text file

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu Aug 15 18:07:25 UTC 2002

On Thu, 15 Aug 2002, Shannon C. Dealy wrote:

> You guys aren't thinking in octal, that's 255 OCTAL, which is 0xAD hex,
> which also corresponds to the "-" character (0x2D) with the high order bit
> set.

  My ASCII code table shows the hyphen as 0x2D (Decimal 45), so why's the
high order bit set when translated from ps to txt? Well, that's rhetorical
as I'd have to examine the pstotext code from gs. Anyway, is there a way to
turn off that one bit so the '-' looks like all the other characters?

Thanks, Shannon,