[PLUG] SCSI hardware recommendations, pointers

Russell Senior seniorr at aracnet.com
Fri Aug 16 04:13:30 UTC 2002

>>>>> "Steve" == Steve Bonds <1s7k8uhcd001 at sneakemail.com> writes:

Steve> On 15 Aug 2002, Russell Senior seniorr at aracnet.com wrote:

Russell> My old 18-gig narrow SCSI drive just filled up and I am ready
Russell> to upgrade to current technology, something like the Ultra
Russell> 160 stuff.  It is my analysis workstation, so good disk
Russell> bandwidth is important.  Because of our backup needs (need
Russell> something we can haul off-site), I want to get something
Russell> hot-swappable.  What do you recommend, and where can I find
Russell> decent prices on it?

Steve> What level of hot-swap are you looking for?  If you want true
Steve> hot-swap Will your workstation have redundant drives (at least)
Steve> so it doesn't get stupid when the drive is removed?  Are you
Steve> planning on redundant SCSI cards so the inevitable bus reset
Steve> that hits when the drive is removed doesn't interrupt/cancel
Steve> the I/Os outstanding to the other drive?

Steve> Are you only looking for "warm swap"?

I think "warm swap" would work fine for this application.  I don't
want to have to reboot though, that's the main thing.

And lightning fast is not necessary, just run-of-the-mill fast and
reliable is what I am looking for.

--
Russell Senior         ``The two chiefs turned to each other.
seniorr at aracnet.com      Bellison uncorked a flood of horrible