[PLUG] auto reply

Terry Griffin griffint at aracnet.com
Fri Aug 16 15:55:55 UTC 2002

> To all :
>
> I am having some problem regarding those user accounts that have been remove
> in our mail server.  What we want to do is to have an auto reply message to
> all the messages that would be coming for that deleted account.  How can I
> make an auto reply message.
>
> I hope someone could help me with this one.
>
> Thank You and Good Day.

If you're using sendmail, you could put something like this in your
/etc/aliases file for a deleted user we'll call bob.

   bob: "|/path/to/program/no-such-user"

This will pipe the e-mail message to standard input of the 'no-such-user'
program, which could be a Perl script or something that generates an auto
reply. You might be able to use the vacation program for this purpose.

Terry
--
Terry Griffin <griffint at pobox.com>
http://www.blindchicken.com/~terryg/