[PLUG] Can I use linux driver code for 'doze?

Eric House fixin at peak.org
Fri Aug 16 16:04:28 UTC 2002

We have a wireless network at home.  The router and all machines but
one run Linux (LEAF on the router), and the cards are old Aviator
PCMCIA cards that use the modules ray_cs.o.  Though the manufacturer
dropped the card years ago, it still works with the latest kernel
thanks to the magic of open source (and somebody's hard work, of
course.)

Now the problem.  My brother had to get a new computer for school, has
to run windoze (teacher training!), and the machine won't work with
anything but XP.  For which there are no drivers available for the
wireless card.

Does anybody know how hard it'd be to adapt the Linux driver to work
on XP?  I'd have expected somebody to have done this already (maybe
somebody with some skill on the platform :-), but can't find anything
on the web.

Any other ideas?  Or should I just go blow $150 on a pair of "modern"
cards?  (One card would be for the router.  I don't think our old
cards are 802.11 compatible.)

Thanks,

--Eric House

* From the desktop of: Eric House, fixin at peak.org                            *