iff Debian (Re: [PLUG] regarding deleting user)

Shannon C. Dealy dealy at deatech.com
Fri Aug 16 19:35:10 UTC 2002

On Fri, 16 Aug 2002, Matt King wrote:

> Billy,
>
> Since you are running Redhat, and Debian has NOTHING to do with what you
> asked, here's an actual answer for you:
>
> userdel -r
[snip]

This is not an entirely fair assessment, many answers are not distribution
specific and are of value to people running other flavors of Linux, but
it is always a good idea to specify the distribution you are using so
people will realize that the answer may not always apply to their
distribution.  Many of us on this list (myself included) have answered
questions with something along the lines of:

   You might try XXX, that's how I do it on my systems which are running
   <enter your favorite distribution>

and I think that many people have been helped by these responses.

As it happens, the "userdel" command you give above is also included in
the Debian distribution, so had he picked this command instead of the
other, the answer would have been a useful response.  It is very difficult
to be sure which commands and features are distribution specific, and even
those that are today, won't necessarily be tomorrow.

FWIW