[PLUG] Any shell have directory-based history

ptkwt at aracnet.com ptkwt at aracnet.com
Fri Aug 16 23:49:59 UTC 2002

This is a request for something that probably doesn't exist... but maybe it should.

Anyone know of a shell that offers directory-based history?  I still want
'history' to do what it already does, but I'm thinking it would be nice to have
a command like 'dhist' that gives me a history of what I was doing in the
current directory.  Why would that be useful, you ask?  Well, sometimes I visit
a directory I haven't been in for some time and wonder what I was doing in that
directory last time I visited and oh, what were the obscure arguments I used to
gcc when I was compiling some source files there (yeah, I know, I should have
made a Makefile - it's just an example).

..of course the downside is that you probably would need some kind of .history
file that lives in each directory.

Phil