[PLUG] QCad

Steve Bonds 1s7k8uhcd001 at sneakemail.com
Sat Aug 17 01:07:20 UTC 2002

On Fri, 16 Aug 2002, Ron Doughten rdought at pacifier.com wrote:

> Awhile back I saw some mention of QCad as a possible option for
> drafting software.
>  I downloaded and went through the installation of QCad and updated to
> the Qt 3.x libraries.  When I try to execute QCad, I get a
> "Segmentation fault (core dump)" error.  I did some unfulfilling web
> searches for a solution that wasn't met.  Can anyone shed some light
> on this error message?

Segmentation faults are the GPFs of the UNIX world.  They mean that an
application has tried to follow a pointer to memory outside its allocated
memory space.  This is almost always due to a program bug.

The best thing you can do is to get a stack trace of the core file ("gdb
qcad core", at the prompt enter "bt") and send the results to the
developers.  You might ask them if they want it first.  ;-)

For what it's worth, I've seen a lot of Qt bugs that cause segfaults.

   -- Steve