[PLUG] SunOS vs Solaris version numbers.

Steve Beattie steve at wirex.net
Sat Aug 17 02:17:58 UTC 2002

On Fri, Aug 16, 2002 at 03:17:56PM -0700, Mark Morgan wrote:
> stuart mathews wrote:
> >>On Thu, 15 Aug 2002, Dan Haskell wrote
> >>
> >>I hadn't heard this either, though I do know that at about this time, Sun
> >>bought Interactive UNIX (a System V implementation) which at the time was
> >>the #2 x86 UNIX distribution (behind SCO).  The reason I heard for the
> >>purchase was this was the simplest way to get a complete set of UNIX
> >>device drivers for the x86 platform in order to complete their Solaris
> >>port to the PC.
>
> Interactive was sold to Kodak for a brief time on their way to Sun.  The
> company I worked for at the time used a mix of Interactive and AT&T, but
> Interactive had been less than helpful so we started using SCO instead.
> When Sun bought what had been Interactive they had SunOS and wound up
> mixing the two.   (Or they had Solaris and Interactive was called SunOS
> for a bit.)  I just remember the Kodak bit the best.

My favorite[1] bit of Interactive Unix was the existence of the
Microsoft copyright statement mixed in with all the other copyrights
that got displayed on boot.

[1] Favorite, in a sick, cynical, "so _that_'s why this is so painful to
    use/admin" way.

--
Steve Beattie                               Don't trust programmers?
<steve at wirex.net>                         Complete StackGuard distro at