[PLUG] [Fwd: cable modems]

Richard Steffens rsteff at attbi.com
Sat Aug 17 15:10:56 UTC 2002

John Hampton wrote:

> As for buying a cable modem, depends on how long you are planning on
> having cable internet.

I signed up for cable when it was first offered by TTI. I took the modem
they offered, a COM21, or some such. Some months ago I started having
trouble that AT&T solved by replacing the COM21 with an RCA modem. Last
night I talked with a friend who lives in the same general area and who
started with TTI when I did. Last week he had to have his COM21 modem
replaced. The tech who came out and did the job said that AT&T is
turning off all the COM21's.

At one point I was thinking about buying my own modem to save a few
bucks a month. After learning that all modems are not alike, and that
the service won't work on some of them, and that which one is supported
can change, I decided that I would probably never buy a modem, but
always use the one supplied by the cable service. Plus, the price break
went away, as John pointed out.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens