[PLUG] [Fwd: cable modems]

,,, sean at seansdomain.org
Sat Aug 17 03:24:42 UTC 2002

On Friday 16 August 2019 18:35, you wrote:

It should make any difference in the modem you choose as long as it's DOCSIS
1.0 compliant.  If it's DOCSIS 1.1, that's better but don't spend any more
money on it.

It used to be that you could save money in the long run by buying your own
modem, however, ATT has decided that if you have purchased a modem you have a
monetary commitment to them and won't be switching to DSL any time soon.  So
they charge you a little more than if you get it from them.

You will need to price it out to see what makes more sense.

Motorola 4100 - Some have problems with the USB, so I would recommend
ethernet over USB (the MSO's don't like that answer, because they usually
shell out 5 bucks for a NIC, when they figure your USB ports cost them
nothing)

COM21 - I know people who love their modems and some who hate them.  They are
not completely DOCSIS 1.0 compliant (they will work on a system that has a
SNR a little higher than it should)

SA - There have been some problems with some of the firmware, but SA has been
good about resolving it.

I just learned that Seimens will be selling a line of modems @ Fred Meyers.
I met with the manufacturer the other day (not Siemens) and I was impressed
with the specs and manufacturing.  We haven't got one online yet, we're
hoping to get 500 in soon to play with.

An employee of a MSO other than ATT.

Sean