[PLUG] Re: [PLUG] WinXP can’t connect Samba_Server which can connect WinXP for files sharing

Keith Nasman keith at ahapala.net
Tue Aug 20 13:23:03 UTC 2002

On Mon, 2002-08-19 at 21:22, Stephen Liu wrote:
> Hi Keith,
>
> Thanks for your response.
>
> At 09:51 AM 8/13/2002 -0700, Keith Nasman wrote:
> >On Wed, 14 Aug 2002, Stephen Liu wrote:
> >
> > > Hi All Folks.
> > >
> > > I encountered following problem
> > >
> > > WinXP can't connect Samba_Server but Samba_Server can connect WinXP for
> > > files sharing
> > >
> > >          security = SHARE
> > >
> >I have not tried SHARE. You might try setting that to USER and then make
> >sure you are logging in to the XP box with the same username and password.
>
> a)  I also tried 'user" but it did not help.
>
> b) Yes in the same user's name but without password.  There is no
> password.  This is an experiment.

Try a password and once you've set it on the XP machine run smbpasswd on
the smb server to synchronize the passwords. I've also found the DOS
prompt to be very helpful where the wizard is not. You can use the "net
view" command to see if the share is visible to the XP machine and then
try mapping it to a local drive with "net use g: \\samba_server\share".
This will at least give you an error message to work with.

The DIAGNOSIS.TXT file included with the samba package gives about nine
steps that really help figure out where the problem is. Give that a try.

Sorry I can't be more specific.

> Now I download "Samba-2.2.5-1" from Samba.org website and upgrade samba
> application
>
> # rpm -qa|grep samba
> samba-2.2.5-1
>
> # service smb start
> Starting SMB services: [ OK ]
>
> Only "smb services" indicated. "nmb service" disappears. Is it correct for
> version 2.2.5-1 ??? Kindly advise me whether I need to have it reinstall
> !!!!!!!!

"SMB services" includes the nmbd. You can check to see if nmbd is
running with the ps command (ps ax | grep nmbd).

Keith