[PLUG] Use Copyright and Trademark to Fight Spam?

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Tue Aug 20 13:42:39 UTC 2002

On Mon, 19 Aug 2002, Keith wrote:

> http://makeashorterlink.com/?I55012091

>  Well it is an interesting idea, the problem is how much resources do they
> have to enforce copyright and trademark laws against violators? Also they
> will run into problems trying to hunt down Asian spam where finding out
> who called is impossible with ISP type phone cards.

  It also appears to be too much of a hassle for every end user.

  I've downloaded a copy of Washington's anti-spam statute. After the dust
settles on the current budget circus in Salem (that's what we get with term
limits, but ...) I intend to package it as a legislative concept for the
next session (starting in January) and will lobby my local legislators (and
others I know) to sponsor it. Actually, the heavy work will wait until after
the November elections.

  If anyone wants to assist in this effort let me know off the list.