[PLUG] Sun

Wil Cooley wcooley at nakedape.cc
Wed Aug 21 02:37:11 UTC 2002

Jason Dagit wrote:

>> Once upon a time, at least a couple of years ago, I saw an email on the
>> kernel mailing list that mentioned this very thing.  I think the person
>> had a patch or module that could warp the system time as seen by a
>> particular process.  I wish I could remember more details.  If you are
>> feeling lucky, you might try searching the lkml archives.
>>
> That's good to hear about.  I should check on sourceforge also to see if
> there has already been an attempt.  So far the very little research I have
> done about it was about exploits.  Changing the behavior of a few select
> system calls is useful if you plan to root a box, so there are some people
> who are experts on this sort of trick.  But I think it maybe a useful
> thing to bring into the main stream of the kernel.  If done correctly it
> may even allow for normal users to test operating system functions without
> having to modify the kernel directly.
>
> I don't plan to spend a lot of time on it, unless someone else is
> interested, but it is a fun learning oppurtunity, and project for now...

You don't need kernel hacks to do this; just a loadable library.  In fact, I
can't actually think of how to do this in the kernel, but doing it through
a preloaded library should be fairly straightforward.

Wil
Wil Cooley                                 wcooley at nakedape.cc
* * * * Linux, UNIX, Networking and Security Solutions * * * *
QCSNet                                     http://www.qcsn.com
* * * * T1, Frame Relay, DSL, Dial-up, and Web Hosting * * * *