[PLUG] It's free as in air and speech, not free as in beer.

Russ Johnson russj at dimstar.net
Wed Aug 21 20:35:30 UTC 2002

At 11:13 AM 8/21/2002 -0700, you wrote:
>Out of the non-linux do you have a preference?

Well, I find that Solaris has the best help (for a non open source product)
and in some cases, the documentation Sun provides on the web are better
than the how-tos I've used. Solaris also seems to be much more stable than
HP-UX and AIX, even on their own hardware. Tru64 is pretty good. I fear
that it's on it's last legs, after Compaq and now HP get through with it.
If HP was smart, they'd migrate the HP-UX users to Tru64...

>I don't think it helps in a literal sense, but I bet the trouble shooting
>skills and the ability to learn hands on helped you a lot.  The ability to
>look at a multidimensional problem and mentally ignore the parts that
>work, so that you can focus on a solution.  Fixing thing is a skill,
>regardless of the domain.

Thanks for that. I hadn't looked at it that way before.

Russ Johnson
http://www.dimstar.net

This isn't my tagline! Who put it here?