[PLUG] OT, sorta..: consulting question

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu Aug 22 18:56:59 UTC 2002

On Thu, 22 Aug 2002, Robby Russell wrote:

> Can any consultants here recommend some sites to some tips on getting
> started with becoming a consultant?
>
> Such as...pricing... legal aspects... oregon business license (??
> necessary?, laws)
>
> I've been asked to do some work...but was curious if I should try to just
> go all out and set myself up as a part-time consultant...
>
> any advice would be great...

Robby,

  I've run a consulting company for the past nine years. Environmental, not
computer, but the principles are the same.

  First, go to the library (or Powell's) and check out the books on computer
consulting and consulting in general. Second, set up a business name and
register it with the Secretary of State. You don't need to incorporate or
get fancy now, but a registered business name helps prospective clients gain
confidence in you. Depending on where you live, a local business license is
a worth-while investment. Third, pricing is dependent on the value you
deliver to clients and what others -- with similar levels of knowledge and
experience -- are charging for similar services. Don't forget, the state is
in economic straits and money is tight for almost every business. Finally,
start small and work up as you gain a reputation among clients.

  The biggest difference between consulting and any other marketing/sales
position is that we're selling the invisible. Track record and reputation
are everything.

HTH,

Rich

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President