[PLUG] OT, sorta..: consulting question

Dylan Reinhardt plug at dylanreinhardt.com
Thu Aug 22 20:03:21 UTC 2002

On Thu, 2002-08-22 at 11:56, Rich Shepard wrote:
> Second, set up a business name and
> register it with the Secretary of State. You don't need to incorporate or
> get fancy now, but a registered business name helps prospective clients gain
> confidence in you.

Ditto to registering a name, but don't underestimate the importance (or
ease) of incorporation.  It's not a crucial first step, but don't let
yourself get more than a year or two into being a consultant without
doing it.  Sole proprietorship is a losing proposition, long term. (IMO,
YMMV, etc.)

Also, get an accountant as soon as you make any money at all.  You'll
need one.

> we're selling the invisible

Oddly enough, the very title of a book I was going to recommend.  If you
get just *one* book on marketing a service business, it should be Harry
Beckwith's _Selling The Invisible_.

FWIW,

Dylan