[PLUG] OT, sorta..: consulting question

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu Aug 22 20:16:37 UTC 2002

On 22 Aug 2002, Dylan Reinhardt wrote:

> Ditto to registering a name, but don't underestimate the importance (or
> ease) of incorporation.  It's not a crucial first step, but don't let
> yourself get more than a year or two into being a consultant without
> doing it.  Sole proprietorship is a losing proposition, long term. (IMO,
> YMMV, etc.)

  Being incorporated 1) implies stability and longevity and 2) gives the
impression of a larger company. A sub-chapter 'S' corporation is ideal for a
single individual.

> Also, get an accountant as soon as you make any money at all.  You'll
> need one.

  And find one who knows self-employed, service businesses. I'll recommend
my accountant in Gresham if asked: she's worked for me for eight years and
is worth every penny of her very reasonable rates.

> Oddly enough, the very title of a book I was going to recommend.  If you
> get just *one* book on marketing a service business, it should be Harry
> Beckwith's _Selling The Invisible_.

  Yup. After reading too many product-oriented marketing books, this _is_
the one to buy, read, and re-read at least once a year.